State Sanitation Plan Of Rio Grande Do Sul
Concremat has concluded, in 2022, the Rio Grande do Sul State Sanitation Plan (PLANESAN-RS), focused on the improvement of the environmental health of the whole state. The consultancy work included the provision of basic sanitation services in its four axes – drinking water supply, sanitary sewage, urban cleaning and management of solid waste and drainage and management of urban rainwater – and covered the urban and rural areas of the 497 municipalities of the state.
Prepared in light of the new Regulatory Framework for Basic Sanitation, PLANESAN-RS encompassed the diagnosis of the situation; the establishment of objectives and goals; the definition of the set of strategic actions for the fulfillment of these objectives; and the evaluation of the economic, financial, social, and environmental feasibility for the implementation of these actions over a 20-year period.
PLANESAN-RS is structured in three PROGRAMS: 1. Structural Sanitation – to improve planning, management and public provision of services; technical assistance and training, and scientific and technological development in sanitation; 2. Integrated Basic Sanitation – aimed at implementing structural measures for infrastructure systems (works and equipment) for drinking water supply, sanitary sewage, urban cleaning and solid waste management, and urban rainwater drainage and management; 3. Rural Sanitation – financing measures for drinking water supply, sanitary sewage and cleaning and waste management in rural areas and traditional communities. The result of the planned projects and actions will be the universalization of services, sustainable use of natural resources and improved quality of life for the population.
The technical studies carried out and consultations with the population and representative entities resulted in the diagnosis of the most critical regions and problems, the need for investments and the priority actions in each of the four axes of sanitation. The information obtained for the 497 municipalities of the State was systematized at the municipal level and for the 25 hydrographic basins grouped into the three hydrographic regions of the State, thus aiming at an adequate planning to the reality and peculiarities of each region.
PLANESAN-RS is structured in six work blocks, with the delivery of six products that group the results, information, activities and reports of each stage:
- Block 1 – Detailed work program: work planning stage, in which the organization for the development of PLANESAN-RS is presented, including the forecast of activities, methodologies, timelines and data sources.
- Block 2 – Environmental Salubrity Report (RSA): preparation of the first report with the evaluation of the environmental salubrity of the municipalities, using as main tool the Environmental Salubrity Indicator (ISA), with its composition conceived also in this stage.
- Block 3 – Regional diagnosis of existing systems: assessment of the provision of basic sanitation services in each region, identifying the current situation, deficiencies and future prospects.
- Block 4 – Identification of demands, critical evaluation and formulation of guidelines and strategies: study of the demands of each service in the regions and, after critical analysis, formulation of guidelines and strategies for planning.
- Block 5 – Formulation of the set of programs, projects and actions and the governance system for following up and monitoring the plan: preparation of the first version of the PLANESAN-RS programs, identifying the actions that should be developed to solve problems and demands, as well as the mechanisms that will monitor the effectiveness of the proposed programs.
- Block 6 – Detailing the programs and the governance and evaluation system of PLANESAN-RS: detailing the composition of each program within the established time horizon (20 years), providing for the projects, actions, stages and costs for implementation.
Sanitation and Water Resources
Preparation of the State Sanitation Plan
Environment and Infrastructure Secretariat of the State of Rio Grande do Sul
State of Rio Grande do Sul